- The Information The Company Collects
When the User uses the Site, the Company receives and collects certain information. The information that the Company receives and collects depends on what the User does when visiting the Site.
- Automatically Collected Information. Some personally non-identifiable information is automatically received and sometimes collected from the User when visiting the Site. The Company receives and collects the name of the domain and host from which the User accesses the Internet; the Internet protocol (IP) address of the computer the User is using; the browser software the User is using and the User's operating system; the date and time the User is accessing the Site; and the Internet address of the web site from which the User linked directly to the Site. The Company uses this information to monitor the usage of the Site. Also, when the Company send emails to the User, the Company may be able to identify information about the User's email address, such as whether the User can read graphic-rich HTML emails. All of the information the Company automatically captures provides the Company with the ability to enhance the Company's customers' search and shopping experiences and to determine aggregate information about the Company's user base and usage patterns. Company may store such information itself or such information may be included in databases owned and maintained by Company affiliates, agents or service providers.
- How the Company Uses and Shares Personal Customer Information
- Agents, Subcontractors and Service Providers. The Company sends Personal Customer Information to certain third-party subcontractors, agents and service providers that work on the Company's behalf to provide certain services. Examples of such services include mailing information, maintaining databases and processing payments. These third parties are only granted the right to use the Personal Customer Information as is necessary to assist the Company. They are contractually obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of the Personal Customer Information and to use such information only as expressly authorized by the Company.
- Publishers. In some instances the Company may share Personal Customer Information with the publisher, copyright holder or author of the products User purchases on the Site. These parties may use such Personal Customer Information to verify that a User has obtained the course materials or to send updates, corrections or other information related to those materials.
- Educational Institutions. In applicable situations the Company enters into agreements with educational institutions, under which the Company may provide services and other consideration to the educational institution. The Company may share Personal Customer Information with any educational institutions to which the User belongs. The educational institution may use a User's Personal Customer Information to, among other things, verify such User has obtained the course materials required for a particular course, or verify compliance with any applicable agreement.
- Law Enforcement Investigations. The Company may release Personal Customer Information when the Company believes, in the Company's good judgment, that such release is reasonably necessary to comply with law, enforce or apply the terms of any of the Company's policies or user agreements, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of the Company, the Company's users, or others.
- Business Transfers. As the Company develops its business, the Company may sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event, Personal Customer Information may be part of the transferred assets.
- Communications from the Company
By using the Site and placing orders, the User may receive communications from the Company relating to: order confirmations; order updates; order problems; material changes to Site policies and account management procedures. The Company may also communicate with a User regarding Company services that the Company believes may be of interest to such User. Users may, at any time, choose not to receive such promotional emails and may opt-out by following the "unsubscribe" instructions in the applicable email, or use the Contact Us page on the Site. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Company may continue to contact Users for the purpose of communicating information about their account with the Company, as well as to facilitate, complete or confirm any transaction that Users voluntarily enter into or in response to or fulfillment of Users' voluntary inquiries or requests.
- Underage Customers
The Company's products and services are marketed for purchase by adults or with the consent of adults. The Company does not knowingly collect Personal Customer Information from children under the age of 13. If a User is under the age of 13, such User should not submit any Personal Customer Information through the Site. If a User has reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided Personal Customer Information to the Company through this Site, please contact the Company, and the Company will endeavor to delete the applicable information from its databases.
- Linking to Third-Party Web Sites
- Questions or Comments
- Protecting the User's Information
The Personal Customer Information the User provides to create and access an account with the Company and to make purchases from the Company is secured using industry standard e-commerce security technology such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology. The Company uses this SSL technology to help prevent such information from being intercepted and read as it is transmitted over the Internet. The encrypted data goes to a secure Site where the User's information is stored on restricted-access computers located at restricted-access sites. Nevertheless, no Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure or error free. The Company does not guarantee the continuous, uninterrupted or secure access to the Site because the operation of the website may be interfered with by numerous factors outside of the Company's control.
- Voucher Purchases
In cases of school voucher purchases, the Company cross checks certain Personal Customer Information to validate access to the User's account and amounts the User may purchase with using a school voucher. Please keep Personal Customer Information secure; do not share it with anyone, as this information may allow others to gain access to the User's account to make purchases.
- Remember to Sign Out
To further prevent unauthorized access to the User's account, remember that, after the User signs in, the User should sign out once the User has (i) completed the transaction, or (ii) decided to step away from the User's computer. Anyone who accesses the User's computer after the User has signed in but before the User has either signed out or the User's session has timed-out can access the User's account.
- ONLINE CONDUCT
User agrees to use the Site only for lawful purposes. User is prohibited from posting on or transmitting through the Site any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including but not limited to any material that encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national, or international law.
If we are notified of any book, information, data, software, photographs, graphs, videos, typefaces, graphics, text, music, sounds, and other material on the Site (collectively "Content") that is allegedly infringing, defamatory, damaging, illegal, or offensive, we may investigate the allegation and determine in our sole discretion whether to remove or request the removal of such Content from the Site. We may disclose any Content or electronic communication of any kind (i) to satisfy any law, regulation, or government request; (ii) if such disclosure is necessary or appropriate to operate the Site; or (iii) to protect the rights or property of the Company and its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, agents, third-party content providers, merchants, sponsors, and licensors (collectively, "Provider" and/or "Providers") and/or any other User.
We reserve the right to prohibit or restrict conduct, communication, or Content that we deem in our sole discretion to be harmful to Users, the Company, the Company's affiliates, the Site, the communities that make up the Site, or any third party, or to violate any applicable law.
- USER RIGHTS AND RESTRICTIONS
The Company further grants the User a limited right to create a hyperlink to the home page of the Site so long as the link does not portray the Company, its affiliates, or their respective products or services in a false, misleading, derogatory, or otherwise offensive matter.
Users may not:
- modify, download (other than page caching), reproduce, copy, or resell the Site, the Content or any portion or derivative thereof;
- commercially use the Site, the Content or any portion derivative thereof (unless and to the extent a User has a business relationship with the Company and is expressly authorized by the Company to do so);
- copy or download any User's account information for the benefit of any third party;
- enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that apply to the Site or its systems;
- use any robot, spider, data miner, scraper or other automated means to access the Site or its systems for any purpose;
- interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site;
- bypass any Company measures used to prevent or restrict access to any portion of the Site;
- frame or utilize framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo, or other proprietary information (including images, text, page layout, or form) of the Company;
- use the Company name, trademarks, services marks or logos in any meta tags or any other "hidden text" or
- compile, repackage, disseminate or otherwise use data extracted from the Site.
The foregoing are expressly prohibited; the right to do any of the foregoing shall require the Company's express written consent (which may include a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of the Company). Any unauthorized use by a User of the Site, the Content or any portion or derivative thereof shall terminate any license or permission granted by the Company to such User.
User acknowledges that the Site contains Content that is protected by copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, or other proprietary rights, and that these rights are valid and protected in all forms, media and technologies existing now or hereinafter developed. All Content is copyrighted as a collective work under the U.S. copyright laws, and the Company owns a copyright in the selection, coordination, arrangement, and enhancement of such Content. User may not modify, remove, delete, augment, add to, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale of, create derivative works from, or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part. If no specific restrictions are displayed, a User may make limited copies of select portions of the Content, provided that (a) the copies are made only for such User's personal use and (b) such User maintains any notices contained in the Content on any copy thereof, such as all copyright notices, trademark legends, or other proprietary rights notices. Except as provided in the preceding sentence or as permitted by the fair use privilege under the U.S. copyright laws (see, e.g., 17 U.S.C. Section 107), User may not upload, post, reproduce, or distribute in any way Content, without obtaining permission of the owner of the copyright or other propriety right. In addition to the foregoing, Users agree not to attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer any of the software comprising or making up the Web Site.
We make no claims concerning whether the Content may be downloaded, viewed, or be appropriate for use outside of the United States. If you access the Site or the Content from outside of the United States, you do so at your own risk. The U.S. export control laws regulate the export and re-export of technology originating in the United States. This includes the electronic transmission of information and software to foreign countries and to certain foreign nationals. User agrees to abide by these laws and their regulations -- including but not limited to the Export Administration Act and the Arms Export Control Act -- and not to transfer, export or re-export, by electronic transmission or otherwise, any Content derived from the Site to either a foreign national or a foreign destination in violation of such laws and regulations. By downloading Content, a User expressly agrees that such User is not in a country where such export is prohibited or is a person or entity for which such export is prohibited. Each User is solely responsible for compliance with the laws of such User's specific jurisdiction regarding the import, export, or re-export of the Content.
The price for an item on the Site may differ from the price shown in a User's shopping cart -- it is possible that such price may increase or decrease between the time the item is placed in a shopping cart and the time that the purchase is actually made. On rare occasions, an item may be priced incorrectly on the Site. If the price for any purchased item is different than the price provided at the time of purchase for such item, then, at the sole discretion of the Company, the Company may either (i) contact the User for instructions before shipping the item or charging the User for such item; (ii) cancel the order for such item and notify the User of such cancellation; or (iii) ship the item at the incorrect price to the benefit of the User.
Please note that this policy regarding prices applies only to items sold and shipped by the Company. Any purchases from any third-party sellers on the Site may be subject to different policies in the event of an incorrectly priced item.
RISK OF LOSS
The risk of loss and title for all items purchased via the Site passes to the User upon delivery of the item to the carrier.
The items offered for sale on the Site contain descriptions that are provided directly by the publisher, manufacturer or distributor of such item. The Company does not represent or warrant that the description of such items are accurate or complete. IF A USER PURCHASES AN ITEM FROM THE COMPANY THAT IS NOT IS NOT AS DESCRIBED ON THE SITE, THE USER'S SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO RETURN SUCH ITEM IN AN UNUSED CONDITION FOR A REFUND OF THE PURCHASE PRICE.
AGE OF USERS
The Company does not intend the Site to be used by individuals under the age of 18 (a "Minor") without the supervision of a parent or guardian 18 years of age or older (a "Guardian"). The Company relies upon Guardians to determine if any Content or items available on the Site are appropriate for the viewing, access or purchase by such Minors. If a User is a Minor, such Minor may use the Site only with the express consent of such Minor's Guardian. No child under the age of 13 is permitted to use the Site.
TERMINATION OF USAGE
The Company may issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate any User's right to use or access all or any part of the Site including any account thereon, without notice, for any reason in the Company's sole discretion, including without limitation the Company's belief that such access would violate any applicable law or would be harmful to the interests of, or potentially cause financial loss or legal liability to, the Company, any Provider or another User. Upon any termination of this Agreement, the following Sections will survive: Sections 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15 and 16.
In cases which the Company deems in its sole discretion to be egregious, the Company may provide written notice (a "Restriction Notice") to a User (a "Restricted User") to inform such Restricted User that (i) his or her right to use or access any part of the Site has been terminated including the right to use, access or create any account thereon; (ii) that the Company refuses to provide any services to such Restricted User; and (iii) any subsequent dealings with the Company will be subject to the following conditions:
- Orders placed by a Restricted User ("Restricted Order") after the effective date specified in the Restriction Notice (the "Restriction Effective Date") shall be subject to cancellation.
- The Company will assess the Restricted User an administrative fee (the "Administrative Fee") set forth in the Restriction Notice for each Restricted Order submitted by the Restricted User after the Restriction Effective Date, regardless of whether the Restricted Order was fulfilled or cancelled. The Administrative Fee will equal an amount not less than $5.00 and will reflect the estimated costs of handling any Restricted Order and any personal or telephonic contact made by the Restricted User after the Restriction Effective Date.
- The Company shall be entitled to (1) charge the Administrative Fee against the payment method either used by the Restricted User to place the Restricted Order or stored by the Restricted User in the unauthorized account, (2) seek a judgment against the Restricted User for payment thereof or (3) seek any other remedy available to the Company under law.
Other conditions may apply and shall be set forth in the Restriction Notice. User agrees that the Company shall be entitled to assess such Administrative Fee, to charge such payment method and to seek such judgment.
PASSWORD AND ACCOUNT SECURITY
Every User that has an account on the Site is responsible for (i) keeping his or her account password/id confidential and secured, (ii) restricting access to such User's computer; and (iii) keeping the e-mail address associated with that account current. User acknowledges that it is important to keep the e-mail address current because User will not receive messages from the Site about his or her orders and inquiries or other matters if such information is not accurate. User accepts full responsibility for all activities that occur within such User's account.
User consents to receive electronic communications from the Site, whether addressed to the e-mail address associated with such User's account or posted on the Site. User acknowledges and agrees that any communication via e-mail or by postings on this Site satisfies any legal requirement that such communications be made in writing.
DISCLAIMERS AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
THE SITE IS PROVIDED BY THE COMPANY ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. NEITHER THE COMPANY NOR ANY PROVIDER SHALL BE SUBJECT TO LIABILITY FOR THE TRUTH, ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE CONTENT OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION CONVEYED TO THE USER OR FOR ERRORS, MISTAKES OR OMISSIONS THEREIN OR FOR ANY DELAYS OR INTERRUPTIONS OF THE DATA OR INFORMATION STREAM FROM WHATEVER CAUSE. EACH USER AGREES THAT SUCH USER USES THE SITE AND THE CONTENT AT SUCH USER'S OWN RISK. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE COMPANY AND EACH PROVIDER DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEITHER THE COMPANY NOR ANY PROVIDER MAKES ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION (I) AS TO THE OPERATION OF THE SITE, OR THE INFORMATION, CONTENT, MATERIALS OR PRODUCTS INCLUDED THEREON; (II) THAT THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE; (III) AS TO THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, OR CURRENCY OF ANY INFORMATION, CONTENT, SERVICE, OR MERCHANDISE PROVIDED THROUGH THE SITE; OR (IV) THAT THE SITE, ITS SERVERS, OR E-MAILS SENT FROM OR ON BEHALF OF THE SITE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES, SCRIPTS, TROJAN HORSES, WORMS OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
THE COMPANY DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE CONTINUOUS, UNINTERRUPTED OR SECURE ACCESS TO THE SITE OR ANY RELATED SERVICES. THE OPERATION OF THE SITE MAY BE INTERFERED WITH BY NUMEROUS FACTORS OUTSIDE THE CONTROL OF THE COMPANY.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THE COMPANY OR ANY PROVIDER BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO RELIANCE BY A USER ON ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM THE SITE OR THAT RESULT FROM MISTAKES, OMISSIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, DELETION OF FILES OR EMAIL, ERRORS, DEFECTS, VIRUSES, DELAYS IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, OR ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, WHETHER OR NOT RESULTING FROM ACTS OF GOD, COMMUNICATIONS FAILURE, THEFT, DESTRUCTION, OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO THE COMPANY'S RECORDS, PROGRAMS, OR SERVICES. USER HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGES THAT THIS PARAGRAPH SHALL APPLY TO ALL CONTENT, MERCHANDISE, AND SERVICES AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE.
NEITHER THE COMPANY NOR ANY PROVIDER WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, ARISING FROM THE USE OF THE SITE OR THE PURCHASE OF ANY PRODUCT THEREFROM, EVEN IF THE COMPANY AND/OR SUCH PROVIDER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
CERTAIN STATE LAWS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. IF THESE LAWS APPLY TO A USER, SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS, OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO SUCH USER, AND SUCH USER MAY HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS.
APPLICABLE LAW; JURISDICTION
Alternatively, any Claim (including Claims for injunctive or other equitable relief) may be adjudicated by a court of competent jurisdiction located in Nassau and/or Suffolk County, New York or in the United States county where the defendant is located (in the case of the Company, Nassau and/or Suffolk County, New York, and in the User's case either in the county of such User's home address or principal place of business, or if such address is not located in the United States, then in Nassau and/or Suffolk County, New York).
Any Claim shall be arbitrated or litigated, as the case may be, on an individual basis and shall not be consolidated with any Claim of any other party whether through class action proceedings, class arbitration proceedings or otherwise.
Sales tax is applied to the total amount of the order based upon applicable laws and any exemptions. Charging sales tax, and the amount of the sales tax, depends upon many factors, including the identity of the purchaser, the type of item purchased, the destination of the shipment, applicable state tax on delivery charges, and/or whether the User's state has a tax exemption for the type of item sold. The following states have no sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon. The following states may have applicable textbook tax exemptions: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri (state), New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island (used), South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. Libraries, schools, not-for-profits, and other qualified groups and individuals may be tax-exempt once the Company has the User's tax-exempt certificate, please contact the Company for further details.
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS